April Recipe – Vegetable Fried Rice
Try this delicious recipe featuring the stems and leaves of the plant.
Featuring asparagus, celery, and cabbage – the stems and leaves of the plant!
Makes 4-6 servings
1 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 head broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
1 zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
1 red pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/4 head cabbage, shredded
1 cup asparagus
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
Juice of 1 lime
Dash black pepper
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 20 minutes until rice has absorbed the water, or as directed by package.
- While rice is cooking, prepare vegetables by cutting, dicing, or shredding.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir in cooked rice and soy sauce. Stir-fry 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Toss together with lime juice and black pepper.
Use 1 1/2 cups leftover rice instead of cooking fresh.
Stir-fry these ingredients with the vegetables:
1 clove garlic
1 cup frozen peas